UNIX admin wrote:
If you think that ripping the feature sets from two
different products and architectures and merging them together is easy or makes sense then, yes, its a no-brainer. ;-)

I did not write that. As a former system engineer, I know full well how much
work something like that would be.

But ZFS has stuff no other FS has, making it a wise investment and effectively
making the competition obsolete. It would only make sense to extend it with
stuff from other FSes still missing, and discard the other carcas.

... and QFS has things ZFS doesn't. SAMFS has things neither has. (Though SAM can work with Q.) In many cases it does make sense to merge products that cover the same space but not in all. Today, there are places where QFS fit and places where ZFS fits. Tomorrow, that may change and it may not.

In short: There is not one ring to rule them all. :)