William Wanders wrote:
Is by any change anyone working on getting applications like
dvgrab and kino working on Solaris? I've been trying to read
DV data from a av1394 device on Sparc (blade 100) and x86/amd64
(Acer f4k) with limited succes.

av1394 is very broken on x86, the bugs are being worked on ( http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/alanp?entry=firewire_in_solaris_the_good )

It should work on sparc. Something like 'dd if=/dev/av/0/isoch of=data.dv bs=32k' should capture the stream in the raw DV format. You should have a machine with enough RAM, the driver uses large buffers to keep up with a real-time 25Mbps data stream. It depends on your configuration, but I would say 512MB is the absolute minimum.

I've heard someone got dvgrab working. Once the x86 bugs are fixed, I think it would make a great OpenSolaris project to port some of the opensource stuff like dvgrab and Kino.

-Artem.