> > A scenario for this problem is: In a shared SAN
> environment,
> > the same tape device needs to be named the same on
> all the hosts
> > so that the backup software can be configured
> consistently
> > across the enterprise.
> >
> > Current /dev/rmt name scheme can assign different
> /dev/rmt#
> > on different host even for the same tape drive.
> >
> > As long as the /dev/rmt# is the same for the same
> tape drive,
> > it is okay to be a symlink or anything else.
>
> Now that is a good example. Even here though I'm not
> convinced that altering the semantics of the
> /dev/rmt/#
> system we have currently is the right approach;
> allowing
> user-defined device aliases on top of that might be
> attractive.

It is also possible to collect the shared tape device names in
a separate directory, like /dev/tape.

> the
> > > case of forgetting
> (ref.
> > > CR 5050715).
> > >
> > > Isn't automated USB detection already integrated
> even
> > > in S10U1?
> >
> > The cold-plugged device scenario is what we are
> trying to help.
> > Imagine a non-hotpluggable device (say some scsi
> disks) is
> > plugged into the system while it is powered off,
> the ctd names
> > won't be created if the user forgot to boot the
> system with
> > the "-r" flag.
>
> Absolutely. The current behaviour is exactly what I
> require.
> The systems shouldn't create device nodes in these
> cases without
> my explicit involvement. How do you know that when
> the system
> didn't have the -r boot flag, that it wasn't
> deliberate?

Well, a Solaris guru may find it entertaining to play with
the special "-r" boot flag :-).

To a new Solaris user that comes from other OS, (s)he may
find it bothersome not to find the device after a normal system
reboot has performed. Then they will ask, "what is the problem
with Solaris?"

Lucy