--- Peter Tribble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 20:55, Yonghong Lucy Lai
> wrote:
> > > I can't see any need to mess with physical
> names.)
> > I agree with you about the information offered in
> the WWN itself, and
> > I do not expect that information to go away from
> the system, either.
> >
> > Here is a real life example of the inconvenience
> without a generic
> > root device name. In a sparc farm, a script is
> written  for jumpstart
> > 100 systems. It needs 100 copies of the jumpstart
> scripts because
> > each system has it own WWN for the root device.
> However, only one copy
> > is needed if root device has a generic name.
>
> I don't see how this changes. Currently, if there's
> only
> one device it's easy - just use rootdisk.

That is not the case. Each host has a different
rootdisk name because each one has a different WWN
embedded in it. Each host needs a customized copy of
the jumpstart script that contains the unique rootdisk
name. So, there are 100 different copies of jumpstart
scripts for 100 systems, even if there is only one
disk on each system.

> If there's
> more
> than one posible device, how do you specify which
> one is
> the root device? Changing the names doesn't make it
> any
> easier, it just means you have to configure the
> physical-
> -to-logical mapping someplace else.

Well, a system comes with a default rootdisk, which is
suppposely known by the platform subsystem. In this
case, the system can translate the generic rootdisk
name to the corresponding physical device, with the
help of the platform subsystem. That is where we see
the possibility to automate the admin task.

And the rootdisk won't be changed unless the admin
liberally reconfigures it. How do we automate this
step? We can't, and what's the point?

lucy