On 5/29/06, Tatjana S Heuser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:

> Then the alternative is for SUN to get 10 engineers, and get them to
> work on an existing opensource project to bring it up to standard or
> create an in house version based off licencing specifications.

I'm very much in favour of this solution - like many others who just
have been happy while Adobe has been providing a free pdf viewer
for their platform, Sun seems to have been a little bit dormant on
this (and instead concentrated some real incredible stuff - see
dtrace! see ZFS!, see ..., see OpenSolaris!)

Even on Sparc, Acrobat isn't exactly the tool of my dreams.
In many details it just can't hide that it had been developed for
single-user-desktop-computers-with-another-window-system.
xpdf is actually doing quite well. Now, if it were to make use of a
full-text index (compare for example glimpse) or generate one
temporarily when there is none, that would make quite a difference,
since searching speed within text is a vital feature.

- Ages ago, that at least had been what convinced me to learn vi,
even though I did find it rather difficult to get used to.

And the Linux version has been upgraded to use GTK+, the least Adobe can do is show a but of x86 and GTK+ love, instead of being the Nevell no mate of the playground.

Matty