> Here is a real life example of the inconvenience
> without a generic
> root device name. In a sparc farm, a script is
> written  for jumpstart
> 100 systems. It needs 100 copies of the jumpstart
> scripts because
> each system has it own WWN for the root device.
> However, only one copy
> is needed if root device has a generic name.

Did you know that by doing the /dev/root and /dev/rroot thing, you'll be
copying SGI IRIX 6.5 verbatim?

So if you're going to be going that route, can we just have the rest of the
IRIX 6.5 brought over into Solaris as well?

I still want `inst`, `swmgr` and `swpkg` from IRIX on Solaris...

> A biref here is that Devname is implementing a
> filesystem
> for the /dev namespace. It supports mounting a subset
> of
> the /dev namespace to a chroot'ed environment. The
> FTP
> device namespace can be such a instance.

May I suggest that you use SGI IRIX for solving this one? Surely you guys at
Sun have some IRIX systems?

SGI solved this about 15 years ago with /dev and /hw. Please take a look at it
and relieve yourself of a lot of grief.