On 6/1/06, Alan DuBoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wednesday 31 May 2006 06:38 pm, Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:
> One assumes that when Sun is solely backing GNOME, that there is no
> 'officiallly supported' KDE for Solaris - all very nice to have a
> 'community working on it' but companies like the warm fuzzy feeling knowing
> that there are people they can ring up and abuse when things go wrong.

I don't get it. How would someone on Linux have a real company support KDE?
Presumably the company is question will be running on Linux, using KDE. Who
will they ring up?

RHEL ships with GNOME and KDE - one assumes that Red Hat supports both, in way of technical support, and depending on the level of support, provide fixes for bugs and security issues as well.

> Which brings up the other question - why on gods green earth did SUN go
> with GNOME? why not just buy out Trolltech, release Qt under CDDL?

Sun offers you the ability to replace your desktop with anything you like. If
you don't like GNOME, use another, such as KDE. That's what I do.

What I mean is you purchase a copy of Solaris x86, KDE is sitting right there, and you can ring up and get technical support ranging from 'how do I setup this printer" to "this is a bug, fix it".

I can't answer why Sun doesn't buy out Trolltech, because I don't know. I see
no reason they should though. Why does that matter to you?

Because KDE is a wonderfully integrated desktop with great software such as Kopete,  Amarok, KOffice etc. etc. Need I say, its the eXPerience of KDE, the fact that everything works nicely together.

Matty