> Uhm... that's the point where you are IMO slightly wrong. The exact
> requirement is that inodes and data need to be seperated.

I find that difficult to believe.

What you need is performance.  Based on your experiences with
completely different, static-metadata architectures, you've
concluded (quite plausibly) that those architectures require
data and inodes to be split to perform well.  That I believe.

But ZFS is not at all like those architectures.  I say this not
as a marketing statement, but as practical on-the-ground truth.
We still have lots of performance work to do; hell, we still have
lots of performance work to do in UFS, and that's 25 years old.
But the performance challenges in ZFS are qualitatively different
than the ones we had in UFS and its offspring (e.g. ext3 and VxFS).

In many cases ZFS will perform better already; in some cases it will
perform worse; but in almost all cases it will perform *differently*.
We'll be much better able to help you reach your performance goals
if you can state them as performance goals.

Jeff