> > Really? How so? I personally think this is the one
> > area where Linux and
> > some of the commercial Linux distributions shine.
> > can't wait for Sun to
> > address patch management in Solaris, and hope they
> > will release a solution
> > similar to what is provided in Redhat Satellite
> > Server (which works
> > relatively well).
>
> You might think that Linux shines in that area.
> Obviously you've never dealt with platform
> provisioning and engineering in any structured matter
> to know what's all involved.  Had you ever designed
> and built a JumpStart infrastructure that
> automatically installs and configures thousands of
> systems in parallel, you would be painfully aware of
> how sorely Linux is lacking in this area.

Yeah, might be true to some extent - but the reality is different. Normally you
have Windows, Solaris, zOS, AIX, HP NonStop and maybe Linux. And yes, it's true
that a lot of companies migrate from Solaris to Linux. I have heard no
complaints from a single company or that they regretted that. Now some
companies are beginning to think about OpenSolaris - the problem about this is
that they want support for this .

> And patches? Why, Linux software subsystems only
> support "patches" as a quasi-notion afterthought.  If
> you want to "patch" something in Linux, be prepared
> to have entire software stacks replaced while RPM
> goes and "patches" the system in one fell swoop.
> THEN you'll rightly know what a mess looks like, and
>  what it's like when 11,000 PCs bust and break.

Again, I haven't heard anyone complain about it.

> Like I said, you'd have to be invloved with actually
> engineering large systems and networks to really
> appreciate Solaris and to know just how shoddy Linux
> is in this respect.  It's a desktop toy with pretty
> icons.
>
> Just give them another two years.  They'll be back on
> Solaris.

This is not how it works. Once they've decided to migrate to Linux they'll most
certainly _not_ migrate back two years later. No management of any company
could do something that stupid.

You see this whole process in a much too academic way. In the 1st place it is
important to see exactly WHY companies are migrating away from Solaris to
Linux. Then it is necessary to develop a strategy and combat that. There _are_
reasons why one should use Solaris, but SUN has to make them very plain. This
is not about FUD, this is about real arguements. And SUN should have at least
some.

What do companies want? Most of them want a product:
- that's independent from a vendor - that's why many choose Debian - and not
Red Hat or SUSE -
- they need a business desktop / they need a reliable server
- they want professional support for it.

Something like:
- an "OpenSolaris" distribution (open sources, not only from one vendor, a
community product)
- JDS / reliable server are there
- SUN has to offer for that product