On Jun 9, 2006, at 7:58 AM, Darren Reed wrote:

If there is any evolution of the log file format, it will
be to use XML.  XML and structured data have featured
heavily in discussions about advancing syslog and the
benefits are clear: data gets typed.  If the protocol
data is formatted this way then there is little sense
in writing it out in a binary format.

I'm sure you're correct, but

<curmudgeon>
Changing to an ASCII format that requires you to include the name of each data field *twice* *in* *ASCII* around every single data item does not seem like an advance in technology to me.
</curmudgeon>

What about ASN1? If someone insists on XML, then you can still support it. You get a much more compact format by default (30% vice 10X by my guess).