On Tue 13 Jun 2006 at 09:28AM, Bruce Shaw wrote:
> Many of us are behind firewalls that block IRC packets due to justifiable
> security concerns.  Any chance of a version that would get around this by
> doing the IRC-ing for us but give us an HTTP-based display?
>
> >Note that if you are behind a firewall (like, sadly, Sun's), this
> applet will fail to connect to the IRC server.

I would love to; however I am not the author of this applet.  It
might be possible for the applet to do HTTP proxying, but we'd
have to teach it that by adding to its code.  As for an HTTP-based
display, that's much harder for me to deploy, at least on
opensolaris.org, since it would need to be server-side code.

My suggestion would be to use mozilla, or get a copy of an IRC
client appropriate for your platform-- the better IRC clients
can use an HTTP proxy to help you get out.

        -dp