> On Jun 16, 2006, at 01:23, Ignacio Marambio Catán wrote:

>>> contributoraward/

>>> win? :)

>>> Also myself and Casper Dik, also on the CAB.
>>
>> why?
>> i did read the mail in cab-discuss but...
>
> All five CAB members had been nominated for an award, as had both Sun
> marketing staff. The CAB conducted a discussion privately after the
> public discussion on the mailing list, as well as consulting with
> Sara, and came to a majority decision. The CAB felt is was not
> appropriate for either the organisers or judges of the Awards to
> receive awards themselves - it would 'look' wrong and the CAB wanted
> to avoid any impression of impropriety. All seven were therefore
> removed from the final award list.

This is a "community" and while that word tends to get overused I feel
strongly that the people nominated were promoted by people for good reason.

I feel, as the squeaky wheel that I am, that Rich Teer and Sara Dornsife and
Laura ramsey and James Dickens worked one hell of a year and they deserve
every bit of recognition that we can give them.  These are people that I
nominated.

But a few were deleted for, excuse me, perception reasons  ?

Rich Teer has _been_there_ for me on sooo many occasions going back years
and years and on more late nights in more server rooms than I care to
mention.  If it was a choice that Rich made because he thought it wouldn't
"look good" than I have to ask "to whom"?

James Dickens and I have worked together many late nights over the past
twelve months and he is no more a champion of this project than Rich Teer.

>From one to another within this community I must ask "to whom would this
look  wrong?"

Too many people have said that Sun is dead and that Solaris is dead and that
Solaris x86 is gone and _here_we_are_ with great technology and a successful
community project with distributions growing here and there.

It has been a great year and to me all would look just fine.

Dennis Clarke