James Carlson wrote:
tyw writes:
Hi thanks for the reply. But what I really want is to derive the
very next IP that the DHCP server is going to allocate to the next
host that sends in a request. This operation will be performed on
the server running the DHCP daemon itself. Therefore, I cannot do a
release / request because the current machine is on a static
IP. Thanks once again.

You might get by using ifconfig's "ether" option to change the
interface MAC address, and running DHCP.

But the question itself doesn't really make sense to me.  It sounds
like you're trying to find out what the next IP address will be so
that you can somehow contact that host by address.  That's almost
certainly the wrong answer.  On any non-trivial network, it's not
possible to predict which system will get that next address, so asking
for the "next" one doesn't seem like a stable answer.

A better answer might be to set up that "next" system to request a
particular host name (see dhcpagent(1M)), and then using that name.

Or perhaps use static leases. Associate a mac address with a particular address in the DHCP server.

alan.
--
Alan Hargreaves - http://blogs.sun.com/tpenta
Staff Engineer (Kernel/VOSJEC/Performance)

I went in the World's Greatest shave for Leukaemia. See
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/tpenta?entry=hair_yesterday_gone_today