Understanding end-to-end NFS performance and NFS workloads is crucial for
several data and performance management tasks. We would like to propose an
opensolaris project for a general purpose  NFS observability tool that will
report end-to-end NFS performance metrics and
NFS workload characteristics on a per-user, -client, -file, and -directory
level.  The tool will answer questions such as follows:

1. What are the workload characteristics (read/write ratio, metadata/data
ratio, random sequential ratio) of one or more group of clients, users, files
or directories?

2. Which NFS clients/users/directories are seeing degraded performance?

3. What is the source of poor performance: client, network, or the server?

4. How is each NFS operation behaving w.r.t each client, user, or a directory?

5. Which NFS operations are causing maximum load on the NFS server?

We believe that input from the community is vital for understanding the NFS
pain points and resolving them. Dtrace scripts addressing a subset of common
NFS problems are already floating in the community. This project will bring all
such efforts together to create a valuable tool for NFS performance diagnosis
and
adapting data management policies to I/O workloads.

Team Members
Piyush Shivam, Doug McCallum