Jean-François Ndi wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  you can try this:
>
> - boot in the debugger (-kd)
> - ::bp acpica`_init (note the backtick character)
> - :c
>
> When you hit the break point:
> - ::step over
>
> this, until you either hang or see another module getting installed. (I know,
> not the most elegant but it will help you determine what is going on.). If
> another module gets loaded retry the experiment (here I assume it will not
> hang).

acpica_init is called several times, but only the first call will cause an
initialization; either this succeeds or fails, but subsequent calls are
effectively ignored.

Note that acpica is loaded very early in boot; pci_autoconfig uses it,
so a hang during PCI initialiazation may appear to be related to loading
acpica.

> If a hang occurs, just note the last instruction executed.
>
> If you don't like to play in the debugger, use the procedure described by
> Doug but add the v option (-kvd). More information could be provided.
>
>> i try to boot with,
>> -B acpi-user-options=0x2
>> the same hang

I'd suggest trying acpi-user-options=0x8 first, then acpi-user-options=0x4,
and finally acpi-user-options=0x2.  See:

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/danasblog?entry=configuring_solaris_acpi_at_boot

acpi-user-options=0x2 will prevent the ACPI CA subsystem from attempting
to initialize in acpica_init:

    357         /*
    358          * Make sure user options are processed,
    359          * then fail to initialize if ACPI CA has been
    360          * disabled
    361          */
    362         acpica_process_user_options();
    363         if (!acpica_enable)
    364                 return (AE_ERROR);

(from
http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/on/usr/src/uts/i86pc/io/acpica/acpica.c)

However, did I miss something?  Did Dmitry already attempt booting with
acpi-user-options=0x2 and the hang still occurs?

Dana