(ks93 discuss removed)

>> >But why is SUNW so uninterested???
>> >Where is your vision of ^^We strongly believe in "One Solaris"^^ now?
>>
>> There is a lot of history there and it is hard to change.
>

>Migrating from Xsun to Xorg did work on x86.
>What "lot of history" do you mean exactly?
>(okay, /dev/fb is different on x86, and vga text mode etc.)

The "lot of history" is in a large part the organizational split between
SPARC desktop doing Xsun for SPARC and the X group doing the rest.

The move from Xsun to Xorg on x86 was easy because there was nothing in the
way of device support Xorg didn't do better and the choice was often
between "crippled Xsun" or Xorg so the move was easy.

The SPARC device support is a completely different picture.

>What are you referring to?

Mostly the optimized 3D and OpenGL support for SPARC framebuffers.

>Is it also a "matter of resources" that you don't allow (even non-commercial)
>distributors to redistribute a closed binary for /dev/fb for the older
>framebuffers developed by SUNW themselves (probably no 3rd party NDA's
>affected)?
>And what is with the shared Studio C++ runtime required by almost everything :
>

>bash-3.1$ ls -al /usr/lib/libC*
>-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin       100764 Jan 23  2005 /usr/lib/libC.so.3
>-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin       401144 Jan 23  2005 /usr/lib/libC.so.5
>-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin        63820 Jan 23  2005 /usr/lib/libCrun.so.1
>-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin      1907540 Jan 23  2005 /usr/lib/libCstd.so.1
>
>A matter of resources ?
>What will the press think, when they see Belenix marTux OpenSolaris require
>users to download those libs after each LiveDVD boot (they already see it) ...
>
>Why can nobody give me a concrete answer on that issue.
>I don't understand it.

because we are a large organization and nobody has all the answer I cannot
help you with these questions other than to give you the global indication
that in many cases it *is* a resource issue or a contractual issue.

OpenSolaris is a high priority item for some managers and less so for
others; without higher ups pushing this message all the way done to all
corners of Sun, this will change but slowly.

People don't seem to appreciate how difficult it is to open source software
which has been developed in closed form for decades.

Casper