> Would a statement by a Sun employee (provided, of course, thet such
> a license doesn't prohibit Sun from doing so) clarifying the situation
> help?

Yes.

> > What I still would not understand - however - is, why the Distros-JDK
> > (on which SUNW has made so much noise about, back in May'06) has not
> > been built with the open gcc.
>
> Perhaps they did it for performance reasons?  I know *I* avoid building
> anything with gcc unless I absolutely have to.
>
> --
> Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, OpenSolaris CAB member
>
> President,
> Rite Online Inc.

Aehmm, what kind of performance is better in practical use?

[ ] gcc: It may run only at 60% of the speed it could,
     when built with SUNWspro. (depending on what and how etc.)

[ ] SUNWspro: it does not run at all, because it is linked against
     missing and unredistributable libs

--
Martin Bochnig

SCSA, SCNA, SCSecA, TOEFL,