On 7/31/06, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Martin Schaffstall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >            Formal Proposal : Port OpenSolaris to PowerPC
>
> +1
>
> I suggest to make /bin/ksh ksh93 from the beginning that you don't
> have to deal with any backwards compatibility fuzz later

Do you like to make Solaris PPC incompatible to Solaris Sparc or x86?
Jörg: Do you want to restart the flame war again? If you want someone
to beat I suggest to do that with Sun - THEY put us in this desperate
situation. We would not be here if Sun had updated their Korn Shell in
1994 or 1996.

My answer is: It depends on the requirements on the user side. Both
sides of the spectrum have valid arguments. However the backwards
compatibility of ksh93 is very good as outlined by Roland Mainz. I
think we should switch NOW or allow the users to switch the shells via
a switch script which allows users to toggle /bin/ksh between both
versions.
--
Josh