Take a look at rmformat(1), it should show the device. I happen to have the
same thing--an SATA drive in a SATA-USB2 external enclosure--except that it was
formatted on OS X. You should be able to use rmformat to format the drive. I'm
not sure if you'll need to run mkfs or not. Once it's formatted and mkfs'd (if
necessary), plugging it in and powering it on should trigger it being mounted
by vold(1M). You should see it in /vol and I noticed that a nice removable
media icon that looks like a zip disk will pop up on your gnome desktop.

Haik