In the ARC review of the GNOME system tools project this week, one
of the issues raised was the hardcoded list of public NTP servers
used in the Date & Time panel.

I suggested both that a better default was pool.ntp.org and that
the good community citizen thing to do would be to have Sun provide
servers to the ntp pool as well as using them.   Digging a bit
further into the stats on http://www.pool.ntp.org I noticed that
there seems to be low coverage in some places where there are
active OpenSolaris User Groups.   For instance, these areas have
one or more OSUG's listed on the user group community on opensolaris.org,
but few ntp pool servers listed:

        China — cn.pool.ntp.org (2)
        India — in.pool.ntp.org (0)
        Australia — au.pool.ntp.org (20)
        Argentina — ar.pool.ntp.org (3)
        Brazil — br.pool.ntp.org (5)
        Venezuela - none
        Turkey — tr.pool.ntp.org (1)

Would it make sense to have the various worldwide user groups
work with their local Sun offices to set up local NTP pool servers
so that their local user community can get better time service?

[Disclaimer: this is just an idea I had - I cannot commit the local
 Sun offices to doing this, but for the cost of a bottom-end Ultra 20
 and a little bandwidth, it would seem to be a fairly low cost
 community outreach/benefit they could be providing.  Or perhaps a
 low-end rack mount server with one zone running the NTP pool service
 and another running a web site or other services for the User Group.]

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           [EMAIL PROTECTED]