IBM just doesn't get it... I have worked with both AIX and Solaris. But
having access to the source code, has saved my a** many times. Not to
forget, that with following what's happening in OpenSolaris, I know what
happens in Solaris in the next months/years. Based on this information,
I can already plan my IT's near future... and that is what I call the
most interesting thing to do as a system engineer.

When was the last time IBM did something interesting with AIX? When was
their last AIX product anouncement, where is their roadmap and what is
their vision?

http://news.com.com/Firing+up+IBMs+Unix+business/2008-1010_3-6101559.html

"Do you ever consider open-sourcing AIX the way Sun is open-sourcing
Solaris?
Mauri: No, we're not. I think that OpenSolaris is a little bit of a
game Sun is playing to try to get good PR. But I don't think it's in the
spirit of true open source.

We have been very happy to get directly involved and contribute to
Linux and Apache and the Eclipse Foundation. We're not going to
open-source AIX. It's best run on the current model, where we have the
expertise. We enhance it. We work closely with our customers to listen
to their requirements. But in the end, it's best that we control that
source code."

Also interesting what they say about the Niagara Chip:

"Sun managed to turn things around a little bit recently and gain some
market share at IBM's expense, and I noted also during their second
quarter of 2006, Sun sold $100 million worth of their UltraSparc T1
"Niagara"-based servers. Do you see Sun as a resurgent threat?
Mauri: After 10 straight quarters of decline, I guess their compare
(comparison with year-earlier results) has got easy enough that they
were going to bounce back a little bit. I have seen what they have done
with their Niagara Servers and their Galaxy Servers, but I think they
are still struggling. They did make some of those Niagara sales in their
installed base."

# mv Disclaimer.txt /dev/null

This message is intended for the addressee only and may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you
are not the intended receiver, any disclosure, copying
to any person or any action taken or omitted to be taken
in reliance on this e-mail, is prohibited and may be un-
lawful. You must therefore delete this e-mail.
Internet communications may not be secure or error-free
and may contain viruses. They may be subject to possible
data corruption, accidental or on purpose. This e-mail is
not and should not be construed as an offer or the
solicitation of an offer to purchase or subscribe or sell
or redeem any investments.