Joerg Schilling wrote:
> For the cdrecord installation that currently comes with Solaris, Sun decided > that cdrercord should not have a default device. Sun could have told cdrecord
> to behave the same way as cdrw does, by just adding
>
> CDR_DEVICE=cdrom0
> into /etc/default/cdrecord

> Also note that it is not my fault that Solaris currently comes with a
> missconfigured /etc/security/* setup. I did send the needed setup for
> cdrtools to the integrators and I don't know why this has not been
> allowed to become part of Solaris.

So file a bug. This sounds much more like an oversight than a formal policy decision.

But, if cdrecord *is* smart enough to discover all the cd/dvd devices on the system, it should also be gracious enough to figure out what to do if there is only one device found.

Apple has a set of user interface guidelines; one of them says that the applications should not expect users to remember information that the application can figure out for itself. This is exactly one of those situations.

Expecting the user/admin/integrator to figure out what device was installed so that they can edit a config file to hardcode that data seems to violate just about every nuance of that guideline that I can think of. Maybe we could learn something here.

   -John