Hi Joerg,

Joerg Schilling wrote:
Tim Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

TimiX scripts that need run on those different distributions could avail
of the #! aliasing feature I was mentioning previously (thanks for the
hint Casper!) where during execution, we lookup the personality.conf
file for their OS to work out what they /really/ mean when they say
#!/bin/foo.

Could you please quote this proposal?

I seem to have missed it and cannot find is in the archives.

Yep, here:
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/approach-discuss/2006-July/000186.html
with more here:
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/opensolaris-discuss/2006-August/019317.html

I'm still looking into this to see if it's possible (or indeed
worthwhile) - it could be a way to appease some users on a
system who want to run scripts that require that /usr/bin/xxx behave
like /usr/bin/yyy without affecting other users on the same system, as
well as being a general mechanism to make OpenSolaris-based systems more
approachable.

I believe this particular facet of the discussion really belongs on
approach-discuss, so I've set Reply-To: accordingly.

        cheers,
                        tim

--
Tim Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc, Operating Platforms Group
Engineering Operations            http://blogs.sun.com/timf