Ulrich Hiller wrote:
Dear all,
I have problems connecting an open solaris 10 box to a novell linux ldap
server (or better say: I am a newbie on this stuff and am confused about
the right configuration).
First I made a normal installation as a standalone box. I installed
openssh and openldap via csw.
Now I want to connect it to our ldap server. The nsswitch.conf looks
like this:
passwd:     files ldap
group:      files ldap
hosts:      files dns
ipnodes:   files dns
networks:   files
protocols:  files
rpc:        files
ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
bootparams: files
publickey:  files
netgroup:   files
automount:  files
aliases:    files
services:   files
printers:       user files
auth_attr:  files
prof_attr:  files
project:    files

The pam.conf is this:
login   auth requisite          pam_authtok_get.so.1
login   auth required           pam_dhkeys.so.1
login   auth required           pam_unix_cred.so.1
login   auth required           pam_unix_auth.so.1
login   auth required           pam_dial_auth.so.1
rlogin  auth sufficient         pam_rhosts_auth.so.1
rlogin  auth requisite          pam_authtok_get.so.1
rlogin  auth required           pam_dhkeys.so.1
rlogin  auth required           pam_unix_cred.so.1
rlogin  auth required           pam_unix_auth.so.1
krlogin auth required           pam_unix_cred.so.1
krlogin auth binding            pam_krb5.so.1
krlogin auth required           pam_unix_auth.so.1
rsh     auth sufficient         pam_rhosts_auth.so.1
rsh     auth required           pam_unix_cred.so.1
krsh    auth required           pam_unix_cred.so.1
krsh    auth binding            pam_krb5.so.1
krsh    auth required           pam_unix_auth.so.1
ktelnet auth required           pam_unix_cred.so.1
ktelnet auth binding            pam_krb5.so.1
ktelnet auth required           pam_unix_auth.so.1
ppp     auth requisite          pam_authtok_get.so.1
ppp     auth required           pam_dhkeys.so.1
ppp     auth required           pam_unix_cred.so.1
ppp     auth required           pam_unix_auth.so.1
ppp     auth required           pam_dial_auth.so.1
other   auth requisite          pam_authtok_get.so.1
other   auth required           pam_dhkeys.so.1
other   auth required           pam_unix_cred.so.1
other   auth required           pam_unix_auth.so.1
passwd  auth required           pam_passwd_auth.so.1
cron    account required        pam_unix_account.so.1
other   account requisite       pam_roles.so.1
other   account required        pam_unix_account.so.1
other   session required        pam_unix_session.so.1
other   password required       pam_dhkeys.so.1
other   password requisite      pam_authtok_get.so.1
other   password requisite      pam_authtok_check.so.1
other   password required       pam_authtok_store.so.1

Since we don't have a proxy, I left /var/ldap/ldap_client_cred empty.
The /var/ldap/ldap_client_file looks:
NS_LDAP_FILE_VERSION= 2.0
NS_LDAP_SERVERS= ldap
NS_LDAP_SEARCH_BASEDN= o=mpia
NS_LDAP_AUTH= simple
NS_LDAP_CACHETTL= 3600
NS_LDAP_SERVICE_SEARCH_DESC= passwd:ou=people,o=mpia
NS_LDAP_SERVICE_SEARCH_DESC= shadow:ou=people,o=mpia
NS_LDAP_SERVICE_SEARCH_DESC= group:ou=group,o=mpia

(Do I need these two files since I have /opt/csw/etc/ldap.conf ?)

Yes of course you do, Solaris knows nothing about anything in /opt/csw.

'svcs -a | grep ldap' gives this:
offline        11:23:08 svc:/network/cswopenldap:default
maintenance    11:23:11 svc:/network/ldap/client:default

That second one is your problem.

svcadm enable svc:/network/cswopenldap:default
and
svcadm restart svc:/network/cswopenldap:default
don't give a different result on 'svcs -a'

Ignore all the openldap stuff it just isn't relevant to using
LDAP as the nameservice.

How did you create the files in /var/ldap ?

Does a simple ldapsearch against the directory server work from
Solaris - this doesn't use the config in /var/ldap but at least
ensures that the LDAP protocol can work between your Solaris machine and the directory server.

You might also want to look at http://opensolaris.org/os/project/duckwater/ as a way to contact the people best in a position to help you out with LDAP config.

--
Darren J Moffat