> amazingly enough i'm going to have some more free
> time on my hands in the next couple of weeks so i'd
> like to try and dive into getting some of the devices
> on my vaio sz laptop working under solaris like they
> do under fedora 5.
>
> i've configured tons of linux kernels by downloading
> the source and usually doing a make defconfig
> followed by make menuconfig and finally a make. is
> there a similar sequence on solaris?  can someone
> point me at the right docs  for doing this kind of
> thing.  i'm sure the drivers i'll need won't be in
> there, but i'd like to crawl before i try and walk
> and i'm just curious as to how this happens on the
> solaris side.

Just like with Linux, you don't need to recompile the kernel to load a new
module or driver. Unlike Linux though, the Solaris kernel build doesn't have an
option to compile a driver into the unix module.

A nice way to crawl before you walk would be to use the "nightly" script to do
a full build of the source tree. This will build the kernel and userland. Using
nightly is the easy way to build everything, and this builds everything for
your architecture. So all x86 drivers would be built when you run a nightly
build on x86. You don't have to run nightly, but it's a good way to start.
Afterwards, you can explore the source tree and build individual drivers and
modules.

Check out

  http://www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/on/

for what you need to build the source. I haven't looked at the developer's
reference in a while, but it should have all the information you need to get
started:

  http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/on/devref_toc/

Haik