On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 11:32:37AM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Nicholas Senedzuk wrote:
> >It was taken out of service about 6 months ago. At this point just
> >keeping it up and running to see how long before something goes wrong.
> >Anyone know of any systems that have been up longer?
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~ [11:22am - 1] uname -a
> SunOS amidala 5.8 Generic_108528-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-30
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~ [11:22am - 2] uptime
>  11:22am  up 1701 day(s),  7:55,  1 user,  load average: 0.03, 0.01, 0.02
>
> Served several hundred million http requests in that time, though it's
> load has been transferred off to newer servers over the last year, and
> will soon be shutdown and retired.
>
> (Yes, I was bad at keeping up on kernel patches, but http, ssh & sendmail
>  were the only external services, and those were kept patched.   This was
>  of course a non-sun.com machine.)

It seems that our server is just a tiny guy compared to Alan's:

mike:/export/home/przemol>uname -a
SunOS mike 5.8 Generic_108528-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
mike:/export/home/przemol>uptime
  9:05am  up 1493 day(s),  6:52,  1 user,  load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.02

The server used to have Oracle instance working really hard for one of
our financial departaments in one branch. The funniest thing is
that the branch has power failures the most often in our company. Just
UPS is working really, really hard ... :-)
Unfortunately local admins are going to optimize their infrastructure
(power etc.) and are going to power the server off for a while. I am looking
for arguments against it ... ;-) Any ideas ?

przemol