This project will deliver some modules and a config tool to support ADSL
modem on opensolaris, include ethernet and usb interface.

Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL), please refer to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL, is a form of DSL, a data
communication technology that enables faster data transmission over
copper telephone lines than a conventional modem can provide. ADSL can
transmit up to 6 Mbps to a subscriber, and as much as 832 kbps or more
in both directions. ADSL has transformed the existing public information
network from one limited to voice, text and low resolution graphics to a
powerful, ubiquitous system.

ADSL is available in various speeds and pricing throughout the United
States, Canada, Europe and Asia. There are emerging markets in the
Caribbean and through out Latin America. China had hit its 42 millionth
customer in 2005. ADSL is connecting our homes with the whole world.

Now solaris just supports ADSL with ethernet interface, and we must
extend sppptun to support USB ADSL modem. It involves some atm protocols
and RFCs. It is our another target to develop an easy dialing tools for
customers. Customers often complain that it is very difficult to set up
an ADSL modem in solaris. This projects will develop a config tool to
support popular dialing, such as modem, ADSL, mobile phones etc.

Communities this project is related to: Drivers, Desktop, Laptop. This
project would have a mailing list, adsl at opensolaris dot org.