On 12/21/06, Peter Buckingham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
huy vu wrote:
> Thank to you both, Nacho and Joerg. However I would love to hear why
> the call to exec would fail right after a call to fork(). From
> reading things about vfork() it sounds like its sole purpose is to
> allow people to call exec right after a fork. I just like to
> understand why exec doesn't work well with fork(). Is it because the
> scheduler is not ready or unpredictable after a fork()?

Think of a situation where the memory footprint of the parent is large
and you want execute something with a small footprint, eg execing
something from a java process.

The fact that you are execing means you don't need to access the address
space of the parent for communication so why copy it? (like is done in fork)

Linux uses Copy on Write to address this problem.

iirc, so does solaris but solaris does check whether there is enough
memory to actually hold a full copy of the parent address space

nacho