On Sat, 23 Dec 2006, Gary wrote:

> Hello,
[ ... reformatted ...]
> I would like some suggestions about a home network design.  My current
> set up consists of a broadband connection(cable), a cable modem that
> connects to a Linux server that runs Smoothwall as a firewall. The
> firewall server connects to a switch. Connected to the switch is a game
> server that runs 24x7, two desktops and a nfs server(V120, Sol 10) that
> is used to mount home directories. Well, today, my firewall died. I
> would like to replace the firewall server with another V120 running Sol
> 10. My question is about the services that need to run on the firewall
> server. Do I need to run DHCP? For the most part, anything on the
> network will have a hardcoded IP address. But, there is a possibility of
> a box, such as a laptop, not having a dedicated IP.  Do I need to run
> DNS?  Since I want to use this box as a firewall, I'm assuming that I
> will use IP Filter. Is IP Filter a good firewall?
>
> Any other suggestions?

If you'd like to use a dedicated firewall, checkout MonoWall running on a
PCEngines SBC (Single Board Computer).

You'll find the PCEngines WRAP board here:
http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap.htm
http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap1e203.htm

Note: the board with 3 ethernet interfaces will allow you to easily
support a DMZ.

and the Monowall software here:
http://m0n0.ch/wall/

PCEngines has a flimsy, but functional, inexpensive aluminum case (part
number for the red one is "case1c2red").  You'll need to add a 12V DC
power supply rated for about 20Watts (or higher).  A good quality "wall
wart"[1] PSU will work fine.  Ohh - you'll also need an 8Mb (or
larger) Compact Flash (CF) card (Kingston has a 256Mb card for $11).

Advantages for this approach:
- low-cost
- fully featured firewall
- simple (very simple) user interface
- low power; the WRAP CPU has no heatsink nor does it require one
- no moving parts (no disk drives, fans etc)
- 30 minutes to burn the CF, mount the board in the case and start using it
- mature hardware & software

Disadvantages:
- the user interface can feel slow if you're in a hurry
- if you order the WRAP board from PCEngines, allow 2 to 3 weeks for
delivery
- the ability to replace the CF card without removing the board would be
nice - altough you can upgrade the image easily via the GUI

Performance: the system will handle between 40 and 50 Mbits/Sec of
firewalled traffic with a typical firewall ruleset.

[1] 2.1mm jack, center pin positive

Seasons Greetings,

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris.Org Community Advisory Board (CAB) Member - Apr 2005
             OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) Member - Feb 2006