On 1/5/07, Charles Hedrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm an experience Solaris sysadmin, but I haven't used a current version
on the desktop. I'm trying to figure out what software to use.

I've tried nextenta. It works pretty well, but I really want Solaris, not
Linux on a Solaris kernel.

The best option seemed to be Solaris Express. However it doesn't seem to
be a complete enviornment.

Perhaps it would be helpful  for you to list the missing pieces.

I've used packages from Sun Freeware with it without problems. But a few
things I want aren't there. I had hoped to use Blastwave, but when I loaded
Scribus from there, it messed things up badly enough that I had to
reinstall. I see that Blastwave doesn't support Solaris Express, so that
looks like an unsafe source.

I thought it did. But Dennis would be authoritative...

(I've never had blastwave do any significant damage to a system, it does
a good job of keeping its fingers to itself.)

At the very least I'd like a development environment. I'm thinking of gcc
(which one?) from Sunfreeware. Is that the right choice?

Erm, gcc comes with Solaris these days. And there are rumours of Studio 11
integration around the corner.

I just use the bundled gcc and install Studio 11 as well.

--
-Peter Tribble