"James" == James Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> It occurred to me that we might be able to leverage the CTF
>> information that mdb uses to decode structures in the kernel.
>> Unfortunately, last I looked, the CTF lookup code in mdb was not a
>> public interface, so I'm not sure we can go there at this point.  But
>> if we could, then we could use CTF to look up the structure definition
>> and avoid recompiling lsof (or some similar program).

James> That only solves part of the problem (the binary offset issues).  A
James> bigger problem is that the structures and the structure members
James> themselves are not stable between patches or builds -- they're not
James> stable interfaces in the first place.  This means that if someone
James> renames "foo" to "bar," CTF isn't going to be able to tell you what
James> happened to "foo."

Agreed.
--
Dave Marquardt