I solved the problem by just upgrading to snv_54, where everything works as
expected. I do not know details, why my self-compiled progs are corrupt with
snv_53. I tested different gcc versions, from sunfreeware and from the CDROM.
While the binaries worked, if compiled on another SUN hardware, they crash
dumped on snv_53. Event the installation was brand-new, (because I was
upgrading from snv_28) I conclude one of the following curcumstances:

a) SNV_53 has a problem (gcc, linker, ....) from source
b) I made the OS corrupt during the first 20 commands after setup the OS from CD

I don't know the real anser, however, using snv_54 solved all my problems.

Regards

Ivan