On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 08:20 -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Jim Grisanzio wrote:
> > Also, there will be an enormous amount of
> > software under v3 when it's done, so wouldn't that benefit us? Don't we
> > want to grow faster?
>
> It would enable that software to benefit from us, but not us to benefit
> from them, since any software we take in from another GPLv3 project will
> be GPLv3-only and unavailable to anyone who wishes to use the CDDL option.
> Since the CDDL allows OpenSolaris distros to exist with our current model
> of mostly source but some still encumbered binaries, while the GPL would
> not, that would simply be cutting off our distros, which would slow growth,
> not speed it.

failed to understand you here...
a) in case of dual-licensing model, distros will have full rights to
choose under which license to progress. If they choose GPLv3, its their
choice;
b) needed encumbered binaries should be considered as separate modules
and still distro-builders will have full rights to re-distribute them.

--
Erast