On 1/18/07, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > 6. The distribution should be compiled with the Sun
> > > Studio compilers (as
> > > a mandatory requirement for the project). No gcc
> > > junk.
> > Or be compatible with both, like the solaris core?
> > (and let the distros choose which ABI they prefer)
> If they really use C++ library interfaces it may be impossible.

I meant be compatible on a source level, so that each distribution can just use
its favorite compiler. Actually, even with sunCC the interface is not clear
between Cstd (the default, traditional and far from the standard, requires a
lot of porting work) and stlport4 (more standard, except for locale support).

> BTW: how do you like to separate CC and g++ created libraries
> in /usr/lib/?

I did not mean to have both of them, just to let the distributor choose which
one it prefers. But if we really want to have both, we could have a g++34
subdirectory for libraries that involve the g++ abi. Letting g++ use those
automatically would be easy by modifying 2 lines in the specs. And putting them
there would only be one extra argument to configure for programs using autoconf
(and likely as easy for other build systems).