>Intel also agrees to endorse Solaris.  Intel has a sizable contingent
>working on Linux compatibili ty.  It should be expected that some of
>them will be switched to Solaris (in comparison, we still y et to hear
>ANYTHING about any work, or any promise therefor, on porting the
>proprietary ATI drivers to Solaris--I am royally pissed).

There's little Sun can do about the latter, except, perhaps putting
the pressure on AMD by flirting with Intel.  With ATI now even refusing
support for opensource X1xxx drivers, the picture for ATI in Solaris
is now worse than ever (I used to prefer ATI because it generally had
ok opensource drivers; for some time now, though, the best choice has been
nVidia because of their closed source drivers; with Intel's increased
support for Xorg, ATI now straggles at third place, only by
virtue of the fact that there are only three graphics suppliers of
note)

Intel has always been in two minds when it came to Solaris: wanting support
for Itanium and server hardware (e.g., e1000g), but little by way of support
for mobile and desktop (Wireless, graphics).  The working relationship
varied a lot, depending on which bit of Intel you were talking about.

This is a common theme (cf. Broadcom GbE vs Broadcom wireless)

We also have an excellent working relationship with the people doing the
ACPI reference implementation at Intel (which is what we use in Solaris).

The graphics picture has been steadily improving because Intel realized
that supporting all Xorg users comes at little or no extra cost.

>Intel and SUN didn't see eye to eye, ostensibly b/c the latter refused
>to port Solaris to Itanium (which imho turned out to be one of the
>smartest decisions in recent computing history).  It's prob ably too
>idiotic to talk about "SoTel", but if Intel could help sell a few
>BlackBoxes & accelerate the acceptance of Solaris desktops, all should
>be forgiven and forgotten.  (If SUN's engineers & ma nagement can shed
>its image of unmitigated arrogance, why can't Intel?)

Sun (not SUN) did not refuse to port Solaris to Itanium; Sun *did*
port Solaris to Itanium (I have a poloshirt commemorating the bringup
of Solaris on Itanium, it says "Sunrise on Merced").  The falling out
had other reasons, but that's all water under the bridge...

>OTHO, at the very least, any move that may keep AMD honest is a good move.

It's always a fine balancing act.

Casper