Alex N wrote:
Thanks for your response.

So I guess that means there is no linking into the Samba code, as that would
GPL all of OpenSolaris in my understanding?

We build Samba on top of OpenSolaris and ship the resulting binaries.

This also means that someone can develop proprietary non-open-source extensions
of OpenSolaris that link with OpenSolaris code, as long as any mods of
OpenSolaris files are open-sourced, but this would not be possible with the
Samba code.

yes, if by OpenSolaris code you mean that code that is licensed
under CDDL.

So these license distinctions are by source file I guess?

Yes.  There is code under many different licenses in OpenSolaris,
including CDDL (duh), GPL, LGPL, Apache, BSD, Mozilla, ...

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts