Thanks, Jim. You have seconds. I'll contact you offline to get you set up.

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Jim Dunham wrote:
Project Overview:

I propose the creation of a project on opensolaris.org, to bring to the community
two Solaris host-based data services; namely volume snapshot and volume
replication. These two data services exist today as the Sun StorageTek Availability
Suite, a Solaris 8, 9 & 10, unbundled product set, consisting of Instant Image
(II) and Network Data Replicator (SNDR).

Project Description:

Although Availability Suite is typically known as just two data services (II &
SNDR), there is an underlying Solaris I/O filter driver framework which supports
these two data services. This framework provides the means to stack one or more
block-based, pseudo device drivers on to any pre-provisioned cb_ops structure, [
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/article/2005-03-31_inside_opensolaris__solaris_driver_programming/#datastructs
 ], thereby shunting all cb_ops I/O into the top of a developed filter driver, (for
driver specific processing), then out the bottom of this filter driver, back into
the original cb_ops entry points.

Availability Suite was developed to interpose itself on the I/O stack of a
block device, providing a filter driver framework with the means to intercept
any I/O originating from an upstream file system, database or application layer
I/O. This framework provided the means for Availability Suite to support
snapshot and remote replication data services for UFS, QFS, VxFS, and more
recently the ZFS file system, plus various databases like Oracle, Sybase and
PostgreSQL, and also application I/Os. By providing a filter driver at this
point in the Solaris I/O stack, it allows for any number of data services to be
implemented, without regard to the underlying block storage that they will be
configured on. Today, as a snapshot and/or replication solution, the framework
allows both the source and destination block storage device to not only differ
in physical characteristics (DAS, Fibre Channel, iSCSI, etc.), but also logical
characteristics such as in RAID type, volume managed storage (i.e., SVM, VxVM),
lofi, zvols, even ram disks.

Community Involvement:

By providing this filter-driver framework, two working filter drivers (II & SNDR),
and an extensive collection of supporting software and utilities, it is envisioned that
those individuals and companies that adopt OpenSolaris as a viable storage platform,
will also utilize and enhance the existing II & SNDR data services, plus have
offered to them the means in which to develop their own block-based filter driver(s),
further enhancing the use and adoption on OpenSolaris.

A very timely example that is very applicable to Availability Suite and the OpenSolaris
community, is the recent announcement of the Project Proposal: lofi [ compression &
encryption ] - http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/click.jspa&messageID=26841. By
leveraging both the Availability Suite and the lofi OpenSolaris projects, it would be
highly probable to not only offer compression & encryption to lofi devices (as already
proposed), but by collectively leveraging these two project, creating the means to support
file systems, databases and applications, across all block-based storage devices.

Since Availability Suite has strong technical ties to storage, please look for email
discussion for this project at: <storage-discuss at opensolaris dot org>

A complete set of Availability Suite administration guides can be found at:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs?p=coll%2FAVS4.0

Project Lead:

Jim Dunham http://www.opensolaris.org/viewProfile.jspa?username=jdunham

Availability Suite - New Solaris Storage Group