Joerg Schilling wrote:
Roland Mainz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong... the 3K manual page archive for developers
has nothing todo with Solaris install... right ?
(And bzip2 on SPARC could be tweaked to run a little bit faster anyway).

I vote to use bzip2 to compress all the developer sources... usually the
disks are slower than uncompressing the tarball anyway...

It would be nice if we had an application that fits into the UNIX world (implements a CLI interface compatible to "compress") of the compression
algorith found in "7z". This is faster than bzip2 and gzip and it compresses
better than bzip2.

  Yes. In addition 7z can compress to either bzip2 or gzip formats as well
and achieve slightly better compression ratio than bzip2 or gzip themselves!

Regards,
Moinak.

Jörg