Scott Tracy wrote:

On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:24 PM, Stephen Lau wrote:

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 11:06:34PM -0700, Scott Tracy wrote:
1) I voiced earlier that I was disappointed at previous projects that didn't have source available either, and that I was going to be a jerk
   about it from now on.

   I don't want that to be a gating factor to get community involvement
   and create a beachhead for a project.  In fact I can see where the
   start of a project is a design doc and both folks in and outside Sun
   do joint development to get a project started/completed.

Yup, I'd like to see that too.
But that's not what Honeycomb is offering.  Honeycomb is offering at
best: involvement with the SDK - which is not the same as open sourcing
Honeycomb.

No. They are offering to lead with information and the SDK. The code is also coming.

So why is it a bit deal to start in the applicance/storage community with discussion and info on the SDK and ask for a project to be created when there is source to deliver ?

Maybe the problem is simply one of names for the OpenSolaris site infrastructure a project has one a very specific distinction from a community - a project has one or more source repositories. If you have not source code you don't need a project.

Let me give some examples:

In the Security Community we have "projects" (we used that name because it is what we choose before the official projects infrastructure existed), these are hosted in the community for things that need discussion, design documents, a mailing list but do not need at this time a source repository. Mostly these are because they are already integrated projects in other consolidation but they are "security features".

We were until very recently including crypto in there, but we have just setup a crypto project. There was one main reason we setup a crypto project - we needed a set of source repositories hosted on opensolaris.org to share between internal Sun people and our "project" members outside of Sun. Ultimately all our code will end up in the ON consolidation but we are hosting work in progress code in the crypto project.

The Trusted Extensions functionality asked for a project and it was rejected because it didn't need to host work in progress source code (it was pretty much finished modulo bug fixing by this point) so using the security community to host the content and mailing list discussions seems to work out just fine.

One thing we really should try and avoid is creating too many mailing lists.

Another example, the bluetooth project doesn't have its own mailing list and exists only to host a source repository - the discussions happen in the drivers community.

--
Darren J Moffat