> Well, I think Harpster is being clear that one
> possible advantage of a
> dual approach would be to engage more developers.
> That's a valid
> viewpoint. Other views have been expressed as well.
> The OpenSolaris
> community is having a conversation about licensing.
> How is that marketing?

Discussion isn't marketing (maybe), but GPLing Solaris to in order to *try* and
win more developers over from the Linux camp would be an attempt at marketing.
Because that's the idea with GPLing Solaris, isn't it?

> I think our marketing should focus on OpenSolaris to
> help build the
> OpenSolaris community. That's it. No need to show any
> other community we
> are better than they are.

I agree with you on this.

> We're not better, by the
> way. We're just
> different.

Here I strongly disagree. Perhaps I'm not better, but we most certainly have
people in our community that are absolute geniuses, that know UNIX inside and
out and know it good, and that have the deep insights and the expertise to be
able to produce a superior product. We have the kind of ingenuity and expertise
that the GNU/Linux community at large can only dream of.

The problem is, there are not very many such people. We are a comparatively
small community.