Sponsors are an artifact resulting from our lack of an external SCM. Even with a sponsor, every non-Sun employee that wants to contribute code to OpenSolaris must sign the CA. Period. You have to get that BSD license out of your head. It does not affect the process in any way. You must follow the same steps no matter what the license is.