Absolutely correct. The entire point of open development is not to write and test all of the code internally and then toss it over the wall to opensolaris.org, but to start, from scratch, out in the open from day 1.

Scott Tracy wrote:
Having the source ready for publishing is not a requirement for setting up a
project.  I'm not looking for an endless debate here but there are many
examples of Open Solaris Projects that started without the source.  iSNS is
just one such project, in fact it only has prototype code at the moment, but it
started with nothing.  The idea is to get the community educated, involved and
yes, eventually publish the source so a developer can DO something with it, but
it's not a barrier to entry as long as the intention is not malformed into a
marketing ploy or other sleezy engagement.

The SDK layer is not cast in stone.  XAM is in SNIA now, but is nowhere near
complete.  This is a chance for developers to take a look at the interfaces,
figure out what they want and influence the product (and potentially the
industry).  I'd say this is open development.

I would give my vote to start the project provided the team starts with a
reasonable set of documents and SDK to make my mouth water as long as I have
the details to use it.  Something like:
* Design Documents on the source
* SDK * Example application on using the SDK (or Whitepaper)

/Scott

Stephen Harpster
Director, Open Source Software
Sun Microsystems, Inc.