Alan Coopersmith wrote:
Doug Scott wrote:
Xorg, keeps on going and going. You exit firefox, and Xorg does not return the memory.

Xorg uses standard UNIX malloc, so memory won't be returned to the OS upon free, just to the free space list in the Xorg heap, unless it was a shared
memory pixmap that was attached to and later released.

(Xsun has a hack to use mmap() for large pixmaps so that it can return memory
 to the OS, but this hasn't been ported to Xorg.)

Alan,
Thanks for the explanation. This explains what is happening to firefox. Is Xorg looking into the problem, as it can be a real pain having to restart X every so often. Does opera do something else with images? It does not seem to cause the same problem.
I will re-test opera again to check my original test.

Doug