stevel> Approval must be obtained from the core contributors of the
stevel> community. (i.e.: core contributors give the +1 or -1 votes).
stevel> Votes are tallied and recorded by the project proposer, and the
stevel> outcome recorded on the form.

Given that most core contributors are Sun employees still, I'm not happy
about relying on a majority vote at this time.  If nothing else, it adds
to the perception that Sun is unwilling to give the non-employees
sufficient say in things.

And I agree with Eric in that I'd rather rely as much as possible on
evolutionary forces, rather than an up-front gate, for weeding out bad
ideas.

If we do go with some sort of vote-based system, I'd like to see a
written policy about what makes an acceptable project and what can cause
a project to be rejected.  I also think that projects that are denied
are owed some sort of explanation of why (e.g., pointer to where they
ran afoul of the policy).

stevel> The form outcome of the vote is submitted to the OGB for
stevel> approval.  The OGB adds its vote outcome and any comments and
stevel> returns it to the proposer.  If approved, it's sent to Eric for
stevel> project area creation.

This involves the OGB too much in the day-to-day running of OpenSolaris.
I can imagine a project appealing to the OGB, but they shouldn't be
involved normally.

mike