Richard Nekus wrote:
  Nevertheless, as one of "many" examples, how much has Apple, ..., or anyone,
including Sun Microsystems given to OpenBSD's OpenSSH, ..., for their contributions, just
to mention one.  Well, apparently not a red cent! and we all know that. No? then just ask
Theo. ;) -good luck!

OpenSSH serves mainly as an example of what happens when personality clashes
outweigh the technology and community.

Sun has given much to many other projects which don't suffer from such
relationship issues with others.    In the little corner of open source
I'm most familiar with, Sun contributes more cash to the X.Org Foundation
than all the Linux distributors combined do, and contributes similar levels
of developer work as the major Linux distros.

 So Is there a heavily consorted development team to go after the likes of
"ATI",...?  -shame on ATI over these little important things, but ATI, and
Nvidia is all the (computer)video world use. -I would like to add thanyou to Nvidia for
there development support (I meant their drivers).

Intel is actually the third strong contender in the graphics space
(though their market share numbers are probably a bit exaggerated by
 all the people who buy motherboards with Intel chipsets but plug in
 a graphics card to the AGP or PCI-E slot instead of using on-board).

Intel is definitely the leader of the three in open source though -
while ATI won't allow open source drivers for their current cards,
and nvidia provides just enough open source driver support to run,
Intel provides almost all of their driver source code, and participates
heavily in the open source communities such as DRI/Mesa and X.Org.

(Disclaimer:  Yes, Sun recently announced a long-term deal with Intel,
 but I've been saying the same since well before Sun officially liked
 Intel, and the facts of the matter haven't changed on this since last
 summer.)

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           [EMAIL PROTECTED]