Simon Phipps wrote:

On Feb 11, 2007, at 13:28, Bill Rushmore wrote:

I totally agree Giacomo. As much as I have tried, I just can't interested in the licensing discussions. As someone who wants to use the fruits of OpenSolaris for my own use and to make a living writing software for the platform the differences in licensing just don't have much of an impact. For the most part as long as it is open source is all I care. I also believe that type of license isn't the main factor of the success, the quality of the OS and the community as a whole is.

This is a difficult subject. In a democracy, the voters ultimately take responsibility for everything, not just the things they think are interesting and fun. I thus get worried when I hear the idea of saying "this is nothing to do with me" being asserted about complex or controversial topics. This is not to criticise you, Bill, I have have heard this from many people now.

Excellent point Simon and that is probably why most of us live in republics. My preference is that I would rather see people who know what they are doing in this area work on this. I know for me, I have tried to look a this subject objectively but my decisions always come down based on emotion because like you said, this is a complex topic. I for one would love to see the irony fulfilled of GNU Not UNIX but...

If we had a complex controversial technical issue with the kernel would we open it up to everyone's decision or would only people with the expertise be involved?

Bill
rushmores.net