Tony Albers writes:
> I have moved /etc/nsswitch.dns to /etc/nsswitch.conf

'mv' or 'cp'?  It should have been 'cp'.

> I have made entries in /etc/resolv.conf
> I have checked /etc/defaultrouter

What does that mean?  Did you check "netstat -nr" to see what the
kernel was actually using, or just the /etc/defaultrouter file itself?
The file is read only at boot time; adding text here doesn't
automatically create routes on a running system.

> I can ping IP adresses on the outside and on the LAN
> I cannot ping hostnames
> I can use nslookup og dig to get info about outside hosts.

Assuming all else is well, the first thing I'd try is 'svcadm restart
name-service-cache'.  If that fixes the problem, then file a bug
against nscd.

It sounds like a problem with nsswitch.conf -- if nslookup works but
regular commands (particularly 'getent hosts') do not work, then the
name service switch isn't using DNS.