Hi Dennis,

From the post, I'm not sure I understand what you were doing at the time, since James had posted about 'java' and your reply was about 'javaws', but to get you back on track....

Quick Java tutorial for you:

JNLP stands for Java Network Loading Protocol. If the browser is not configured to do so automatically with that file type, set things up to pass it along to 'javaws'. From there, Java Web Start will know what to do with it. Then, file a bug on the browser not being configured. :)

If you download a .jar file that is supposed to be a program, the best thing to do is to run "java -jar <jarfile>". In the manifest inside the jar, there is a description of which class should be executed, and the proper things should happen. I've not checked recently (and there was a problem for a while), but most versions of JDS will just 'do the right thing' when you double-click on the .jar file. Generally, so will Windows and Linux in my experience.

Hope that helps,

- Matt

Dennis Clarke wrote:
Dennis Clarke wrote:
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/device_detect.html
I looked at the XML file that I downloaded and then used wget to fetch the
jar file and unzipped it :

Did you read the faq for that tool?

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/device_detect.html#jnlp

answers your question.

well I guess I better look at that.

$ /opt/csw/bin/wget
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/GetFile/vvv2/multiple-i586/sddt_1_0.jar

$ unzip sddt_1_0.jar
Archive:  sddt_1_0.jar
bzzzzt!

If you want to run an app delivered via a jar file, run

$ java -jar sddt_1_0.jar

thus far I have a dialog that simply says that Java Web Start failed to
launch the application and details point to a missing field exception.

so .. no joy yet

dc