Derek Cicero writes:
> A lot of the moderators don't want to moderate the existing mail, so I
> don't think adding more mail to the moderation queue would be acceptable
> to them (i.e they won't do it).

I think the traffic is separable.  Moderating the first 1-3 posts from
a new subscriber isn't much of a burden, though moderating the
9-gazillion almost-certainly-spam messages from random senders is a
problem.  (Particularly so given that the mailman we're still using is
old and lacks the crucially important "discard all deferred" feature
-- really needed for handling the spam purporting to be from 163.com.)