Bill Moffitt wrote:
Ian-

Actually, this is precisely what I think we need to avoid. You should run the
OS that runs best on laptops on laptops, the OS that runs best on desktops on
desktops, the OS that runs best on phones on phones, and the OS that runs best
on servers on servers, and have the whole thing work together effectively.

Whether it is technically best (or even good) or not, Windows is the de facto
OS for laptops - it works, people like it (in some cases a lot) and vote with
their wallets, and that makes it best. I have run Solaris on a laptop, and it
was, frankly, OK. No better. Lots of reasons, but that's the bottom line -
Solaris didn't make my Sony laptop better.

So, instead of just replacing Windows everywhere with Solaris "and then everybody
will be happy," I want to just focus on replacing Windows SERVERS with Solaris.

So, how do we deliver services to Windows clients from a Solaris server?

-Bill

I'd have to disagree.
This attitude is exactly why Sun is in the market position it's in. Sure, let's cede marketshare to to those who do it better than we do.

Ever wonder why linux has had such success?
The people working on it don't take no for an answer.